Welcome! Come here for announcements about new assignments, etc. Even better, check the Schedule of Assignments, Handouts, Quizzes, etc.
- Reading Assignment #2 has been assigned. It is drawn from several online sources. Written responses are due in class Wednesday, Sept. 20; 5 pts. I will evaluate selected questions (not divulged in advance) and give you credit for responding to the rest.
- Reading Assignment #1 (from Middleton & Wilcox), for classes starting Friday, August 25: Chapter 1, Sections 1-3 (pp. 1-13).
- "Reading Questions" (see link to Reading Assignment #1, for example), which I will try to write for most reading assignements, attempt to do two things: (1) Indicate to you what parts of the assigned reading I think might be the most worthwhile paying attention to, thereby allowing you to skim over the rest of it; and (2) give you something specific to look for when you're reading, so you can be a little more actively engaged in your reading. I don't expect you to turn in responses to Reading Questions; they are, rather, a service that I try to provide to you. You'll find that trying to write answers to each question is prohibitively time consuming, but one strategy might be to mark the passage(s) in the text that address each question and label the marked passage(s) with the number of the question that it addresses. (This of course reduces the value of the text for resale, but in a perfect world you would keep texts such as this one as part of your professional reference library after you graduate.)
- iClickers: In class we will occasionally use a student response system (also known as "clickers") made by iClicker (in particular, the iClicker 2 model). If you don't already own one, you will need to buy or rent an iClicker 2 clicker from the SFSU bookstore as soon as possible. The price for a new one at the bookstore is $52.81 + tax (or $39 for a used one, or $20.72 for a one-semester rental). The bookstore will buy it back from you (for half the original price) when you no longer need it, even if that is several years from now (as long as SFSU classes are still using it). The University has standardized use of the iClicker 2 across campus, so you might discover that you also need it in other classes while you are at SFSU.
Once you've purchased or rented your iClicker, you will need to register it for ERTH 430 on iLearn. For instructions, see https://athelp.sfsu.edu/hc/en-us/articles/216706857-Register-your-clicker-in-iLearn.
- Computer Access on Campus. SFSU's Computing Services maintains a list of computer labs on campus, some of which you might be able to use. Failing one of those, you are allowed to use either of the two Department of Earth & Climate Sciences computer labs listed below (for work related to ERTH 430 or other Department courses only). (These rooms generally kept locked, with access via coded key pad or if someone already inside lets you in.)
- The Weather Graphics and Simulation Lab (iMacs):
- Location: Room 607 Thornton Hall.
- The Earth Systems Lab (iMacs).
- Location: Room 518 Thornton Hall.
Home Page |*|
Schedule of Assignments, Handouts, Quizzes, etc.